This position is included in a Collective Bargaining Unit.
These positions are in support of Fort Benning working on base with military members and their families or in local schools with high populations of military families attending. Candidates must be local to Fort Benning or be willing to become local and licensed at the independent level in Georgia as a Social Worker (LCSW), Therapist (LMFT), or Mental Health Counselor (LPC).
Primary responsibility to provide the full breadth of MFLC (Military Family Life Counseling) counseling services to military service members and their families at military installations. Services include non- medical, short-term, walk-around counseling, training/health and wellness presentations, provision of health fairs, and consultation to installation command regarding behavioral health issues. Works closely with the installation and military branch Points of Contact (POC) to assure that the program is provided within scope and meets the needs of the installation.
- Provides non-medical, short-term, solution focused, walk-around counseling directly to service and family members. Services include assessment, brief counseling and consultation, action planning, referral to resources (assuring linkage as appropriate), and follow-up as indicated.
- Delivers training and health and wellness presentations, participates in health fairs and other base/installation activities as requested/directed.
- Enters counselor activity data on a daily basis through smart phone, or web application, to assure that reporting is accurate from assigned installation, while maintaining client/service member confidentiality.
- Creates a presence on the installation in which the service and family members feel comfortable approaching the counselor and recognize the program to be confidential. Establishes and maintains working relationships with community resources and provides appropriate linkages for service members and their families. Partners with POC to provide MFLC services in a manner that addresses the needs of the installation. Develops an effective and professional working relationship with the installation POC.
- Provides MFLC response to critical incidents, surge and on demand events, and special requests as directed by the POC and approved by the Office of Secretary of Defense (OSD) program manager. Counselor will flex schedule to respond to urgent requests as needed.
- Manages duty to warn and restricted reporting situations according to Department of Defense (DoD) protocol and staffs the cases with Regional Supervisor/Regional Director.
- Communicates with Regional Supervisors and participates in regular individual and group supervision, sharing information regarding trends and issues on the installations to which the counselor is assigned.
- Participates in regular in-services/training, Quality Improvement committees or other contract activities as assigned/appropriate.
Other Job Requirements
Master's degree from an accredited graduate program in a relevant field of study to include, but not limited to, a mental health related field such as social work, psychology, marriage/family therapy, or counseling.
Valid unrestricted counseling license from a State, District of Columbia, US Territory or Commonwealth that grants authority to provide counseling services as an independent practitioner. For assignments in the 50 states, counselors shall be licensed or certified in the state in which the client is receiving services.
Minimum 2 years of post-masters supervised clinical experience.
Requires ability to engage and communicate with military members or children as assigned, in order to accomplish job functions, and to respond quickly to emergent situations in any physical location on a military installation and/or within a school setting, which includes the need to traverse short and/or long distances within the base to both indoor and outdoor locations, to maneuver through rugged, outdoor or uneven locations (e.g., steep inclines, stairs, grass), and work in outdoor weather and other military base conditions.
May require travel to locations outside of a military base in a variety of physical environments.
Due to the nature of working on military installations or related worksites, counselors may need to comply with various site-specific requirements to work at designated locations. For example, for some assignments, counselors will need to have certain immunizations or vaccinations and provide record of receipt.
Ability to prove US Citizenship and must be fluent in English.
Understanding, sensitivity and empathy for service members and their families. Ability to develop trusting, helping relationships. Ability to work with individuals and families from diverse racial, ethnic and socioeconomic backgrounds.
Must pass a National Agency Check and Inquiries (NACI) Clearance, and an Installation Records Check (IRC), Criminal Background Check, and FBI Fingerprints Check.
Vehicle Operator's License Requirement: Unless specifically waived by the FEDSIM COR, all contractor personnel providing counseling support at Government locations shall possess a valid U.S. state vehicle operator's license. As a condition for employment under this contract, contractor personnel may be required to pass all tests for and obtain a U.S. military vehicle operator's permit for commercial sedans and similar, for use at Temporary Duty (TDY) locations, if required.
General Job Information
Military and Family Life Counselor
MFLC Tier 2
Work Experience - Required
Work Experience - Preferred
Education - Required
Masters - Behavioral Health
Education - Preferred
License and Certifications - Required
Current licensure required for this position that meets State, Commonwealth or customer-specific requirements - Care Mgmt, DL - Driver License, Valid In State - Other, Must be an independently licensed behavioral health clinician - Care Mgmt
License and Certifications - Preferred
This position is included in a bargaining unit. Pay rates are specified in the applicable Collective Bargaining Agreement.
Magellan Health, Inc. is proud to be an Equal Opportunity Employer and a Tobacco-free workplace. EOE/M/F/Vet/Disabled.Every employee must understand, comply with and attest to the security responsibilities and security controls unique to their position; and comply with all applicable legal, regulatory, and contractual requirements and internal policies and procedures.
Magellan is the employer of choice for hard working people interested in making a difference in the health care industry and in the communities where we work and live. Our strong culture of caring is the common thread in both our business strategy and our work environment. We value professional growth and development, total health and wellness, rewards and recognition as well as employee unity. Magellan is a place where you can thrive.
Magellan is committed to providing equal employment opportunities to employees and applicants for employment without regard to race, color, creed, religion, sex, gender identity and expression, sexual orientation, marital status, age, national origin, ancestry, citizenship, physical or mental disability, disabled veteran or veteran of the Vietnam Era status, or any other factors protected by law.
Magellan is committed to meeting applicable Federal labor and employment law posting requirements by providing necessary posters in a format which is easily accessible and conspicuous to all applicants. Copies of applicable posters are accessible by clicking here () .
Warning: Employment Scam
It has come to our attention that a false representative is contacting potential candidates and offering them work at home positions with Magellan Health. "Interviews" are conducted completely through email and the false job offer includes the promise of a check to be issued to the candidate for the purposes of setting up a home office.
Please know that Magellan Health does not interview any candidate through email, nor do we issue checks to candidates to set up home offices. All of our available positions are posted on legitimate job boards and our recruitment team directly contacts candidates should there be a fit.
If you suspect you are being contacted by a false representative of Magellan Health, please call